As a content writer I get the questions most of the time, how long should a blog post be? It can’t measure, but statistics from the different source can make a clear sense. Though it’s not the time to make 500-1000 words blog post. Time has passed and the search engine is too smart now. Similarly, users are hunting to get a descriptive post all the time. Because it proves descriptive post as informative. Similarly, it describes you as authoritative and experts in this topics. With this in mind, Search Engine like Google is giving huge priority for the lengthy post for ranking.
Important to realize, a blog post which is lengthy and well-optimized, it will be a research one. For this reason, it can be helpful to anyone. On the other hand, you can satisfy yourself by writing a 1k words blog post. You have given examples and stats as well as the pros and cons in a post. So, how will you write an ideal post with the short post? It will seem as a summary, but a summary can’t express everything related to the topics. For this reason, you have to do research, you have to read and you have to publish an ideal post to catch the user’s eye as well as the search engine.
So what is the ideal length of a blog post? I will show you all the stats and popular blog post with metrics. Keep reading.
Ideal Length of a blog post:
Forbes made a blog post called “How Long Should My Blog Post Be?” and here they explained the ideal length of a blog post should be 2000 words+, but Forbes gave the stats from 2014. Even they got this type of post gets more likes and tweets than a short one. They also showed that a post under 2000 words won’t be found on the first page of the SERP of Google. Even they have researched thousands of high-volume keywords and they have shown that in the Google a post will be considered on the first page and it must be 2000+ words. Though they remind us to format the post correctly and they have also suggested using some visual content like images or infographic in the post. If you are able to use a video, then it will good also.
In the same way, Buzzsumo research in 100 million blog post in the previous year and it shows that a blog post or article with 3000 to 10000 words get the most shares in the social media and they have published the stats with a graph in OkDork. They explained it as the magic content which is published with research, proper formatting with essential visual content.
On the other hand, Neil Patel another great influencer in the digital media has explained in this research that a blog post with 3000+ words gets more attention among the readers. Even the shows that a post which is bigger than 3k words get 70% of search engine traffic in those keywords. He explains it as the revolution of the selling target. We all know that long tail keyword with search engine traffic is more valuable for selling any product.
In another post of QuickSprout, Neil Patel proves the that there has no way to satisfy a reader with the shorter article. We have a belief to write the summary of a post. But they don’t know how much can be effective in the search engine for a longer post. Similarly, Darren Rowse of ProBlogger is also describing to give importance in the lengthy article.
Benefits of long-form Content:
- It will get more social shares
- It will get natural backlink
- It gets higher rank in the search engine all the time
- Prove you as an authority, researcher and experts in this topics
- Provides value of your blog and it makes reliable and loyal readers and customers
- It can answer very easily and satisfactory with examples and story
- It helps to use Primary Keyword a lot of times naturally and it is very good to rank in the search engine
- It helps the readers to get the clear concept about the topics. For this reason, they become happy and shares it most of the time.
- You have the opportunity to use variety of similar keywords in a post
- It helps another to collect necessary information and you can’t believe you competitor will give a backlink most of the time and you know how valuable can be to get a link from your new competitor.
- Most of the reader will save it or bookmarked for further reading or when they will get time. That means it will surely help you to keep your visitor engaged with you.
Cons of long-form content:
- It takes time to write a post
- It will need more research in various places
- Sometimes, some visitors may leave your websites without reading the content. But you should remember, you need the valuable readers who can be your customers and who will come back again in your blog. In this case, some may go, but most of them will be your loyal readers.
- It can cost you more for writing the content. If you do this for your blog. Though for dedicated bloggers and business have no problem in this matter.
What Google tells about the content:
Google Webmaster officially declares about the content length and they describe that a depth article with proper research will get ranked in the fastly and properly in the search results. Though in 2013 they describe 10% of the whole readers are searching for depth and long-form article and after passes of four years, they declare that it’s very good to get ranked a long form of the article all the time. Though there has some debating, most of the readers are pursuing a researched and long-term of content all the time. Google also knows people are pursuing a quick answer too. So, they are giving in priority with bullet list and visual content too.
So the ideal length of a content?
So, now in 2017, you have no chances to rank a blog post or article without 2500-3000+ words for any types of keywords. Though there has some exceptionality, it’s the ideal length of any popular content.
Where is the exceptionality? Some content which has very low CPS near about 0.01, it can do well. But you have to realize that are you targeting that types of penny cents. Believe it or not, research says that now low CPC keyword is also booked by lengthy keyword and it proves many of the bloggers in Google Products forums.
So, as the competition is increasing daily and it’s your turn to prove yourself as an authoritative. For this reason, you have to follow the best practice to write or publish a content. You have to remember that who is authoritative has less competition all the time because they can rank a lot of content from his websites.
So, the ideal length of a content is 10-15 minutes and it goes 2500-3000+ words. Science has got that a man who is searching anything which is essential for him, he can wait 10-15 minutes to read the article. The more you increase the length, the more you will stay on the first page in the search engine.
How can you write the long form of the blog post?
So, now the questions come how can you write the long form of the blog post? Yes! You have to give time, you have to research a lot. You have to remember you want to earn passive income and it can be really passive if you can work by opening your eyes in different sectors.
So, what are the secrets to write the long form of content?
- You have to write in those topics which you know more
- The topics you can learn and research a lot of time
- Be a storyteller and go in depth of your topics
- Explains as like you are an expert
- Always learn and keep reading regularly
- Don’t write a blog post with unnecessary things
- Follow the fellow ones in your field
What should you consider before writing a long-term of the blog post:
I’m telling all the times about the length of the content, but is it all for ranking in the search engine or user-friendliness. Not at all. If I divide all the part in 100, then content length will get 50, but you have to consider the below things to rank the content and to keep your visitors happy. So by writing the long post, you should follow the below matters and it has been proved by many bloggers including Neil Patel, Brian Dean, the Huffington Post and Forbes blogging team too.
1. Objectives: You have to clear your objectives and Substances of the post. Are not adding unhealthy or unnecessary sentences in the article? Are you not talking with the readers? I’m proving a lengthy content is very essential for high-ranking and for your authority. But it’s not something to tell forgetting your objectives. Do you know what is the meat and potatoes of your content? Are you not bringing vegetables a lot of times when cooking meat?
2. Have you created your own style: Some of us are experts in copying and editing the content of others. Even they tell in a popular voice. But do you know it’s not effective? Make your own voice and be unique. You can take a lot of resources from anywhere. The in the internet world is free for anything. But are you not copying and overwriting a thing in the style of popular one. Be patient and write for years and you will be surprised you are telling in your own words and surprisingly you will see that your visitor will be yours and they are making examples in many places. Is there any need to buy links?
3. Time of posting and frequency: It’s an another great fact for the long form of content. Are you publishing the post in every hour or 4/5 in a day? Then it can be short form and it proves your blog is very popular and you are maintaining a community. But if you post once in a day or week. Then it’s for resource and here you have to consider a lot. On the other hand, if you maintain a team like Harsh or Amit Agarwal or Drawn rose, you can always make the long form of content as the resource.
4. Formatting of the content: Do you know how to format a content? It’s very necessary to use the blog, italic, quotes, question and heading tag to format a content properly. If you write a content with 5000 words, but if you don’t use the paragraph or heading tag with the bullet list, what will it seem? Surprisingly, it will be a matter of laugh. No one will not get interested to read your article. On the other hand, it will be a waste for the search engine too. So, before writing any content follow the popular blogs and writers to see how they are formatting the content? How many subheading or quotes are they using?
5. Identify Goal and purpose: There have many purposes for creating content. At the end of the day, they all want conversion. They have to sell something or they have provided services. It is the main goal. With this in mind, they have some sub-goals too. As like Spreading brand awareness, increasing social engagement, collecting email lists, increasing value of the websites and improving SEO of a website. For this reason, you have to identify your goals and purposes, then automatically come to the length of your content. But all and only reason, to create the long form of content is improving the SERP results and making the conversion.
6. What your audiences want: It is important to realize your visitors. You have to create content which can solve the problem of your audiences. Write lengthy content and it’s very good for staying in the search engine. But never forget the users. A great content with proper research can lead a lot of audience with satisfaction. So, try to know their passions, needs, interests, and problems too. It will help you to generate quality content.
7. Justify situation:
8. At the end of the day, will it generate income:
9. Longer is better forever:
10. Try to keep variety: